Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Fast and the Furious 4

I've got lots of other things I want to blog about, but I'm not in the mood for them right now. This is just a quick one. I watched The Fast and the Furious yesterday with Cha. It was a good movie. It made me want to re-watch all the other films (I haven't seen the second one though. I wasn't too interested in it because Vin Diesel wasn't there. Tokyo Drift was cool though). Well anyway, even though I liked the film a lot, I somehow felt sad after the movie. I knew I was because Vin Diesel's love interest, Letty, died in the early part of the film (according to Cha, it is the reason for the film's story)...but I wasn't completely sure why I was really sad. It bothered me for a while. Then a while ago, I realized the reason why I was sad. I think I felt real sad because the film was somehow about a tragic love story..at least that's one way of looking at it. Letty died because she made a deal with the FBI to clear Dom's criminal record. She did it because she wanted Dom to come home. That was a very sweet thing to do and it showed how much she missed him. The sad part is, she died because of it. The other part that touched me was that you can tell that Dom really loved Letty. She was the love of his life. He didn't look at any other woman besides her. He left because he wanted to protect her. He risked being captured by the FBI and dying just to avenge her death (this part I don't really agree with...taking revenge and all). The point is I got sad because theirs was somewhat a tragic love story. They both loved each other very much. On the one hand, that is a happy thing...loving someone that much, it's pretty rare I think. Theirs seemed like the love that would go on forever, even after death. The sad part is they're not together anymore...and what hurts more than not being with the one you love.

I didn't push myself to realize this, but it just hit me. I think this is also what draws me to Clark and Lana...great loves that don't quite end happily...at least not in the way I imagined or hoped. Perhaps I am drawn to these things because I somewhat feel that way. I'm hoping it won't be, but it feels like my story.

No comments: